Valve Almost Removed Trading Completely

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Purplemonkeyfan, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purplemonkeyfan

Purplemonkeyfan Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/

"One option proposed was to simply remove trading. The Steam Market already accounted for the vast majority of virtual goods exchanged by Steam users. We even generate revenue off those transactions, which helps cover the cost of fraud, unlike person-to-person trades. And removing trading was by far the easiest solution to implement. But we felt that was a bad choice for users. Another easy choice would have been to require two-factor authentication for trading, but that's bad for the same reasons as removing it entirely. It's important that you can give a friend a TF2 weapon when he comes to try out the game, or give a friend the last trading card she needs to craft a game badge."

Tell me what you guys think about valve almost removing trading!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Lock Lock x 1
  2. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    Doesn't say they were going to remove trading. They just mentioned it would've been the easiest option than doing this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    still, even considering to do that is ridiculous

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Lunaa

Lunaa Teddy Bear with a gun
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    another post bashing trading? Hilarious

• Chill Pill Chill Pill x 1
  5. cnpjphillypwn

cnpjphillypwn Forum-Clearing
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    I'm sure they were seriously considering losing tons of revenue from trading by stopping it entirely. Makes a ton of sense. What they did by doing this is showing how escrow isn't as bad as some of the ideas they were "considering" (which I completely doubt they actually thought about).

• Approved Approved x 1
  6. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    they wouldn't lost a ton of revenue by getting rid of in game trading. that would force everyone to trade through the market, so they would be making more profit from the taxes.

7. cnpjphillypwn

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    and you're saying mass amounts of players wouldn't quit as a result of that decision. You're overreacting to something that was most likely never considered.

8. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    why would valve mention it if they would never even consider it? and traders are a minority of the players so valve would be willing to take the loss in order to stop the scams and complaints most likely

9. cnpjphillypwn

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    To show what could have happened compared to escrow (which I said in an earlier post) and no, why would valve ever take the loss, there would be no reason to buy anything from the in-game store anymore if you couldn't trade.
    Although I will say I wouldn't blame Valve if they stopped trading due to complaints, the amount of complaints about Escrow is too damn high. You can't trade for a week now...just wait it out. Is it Valve's fault you didn't read the instructions?
    Escrow isn't something I personally support, but people are making a mountain out of a molehill, especially when it's for the community.

10. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    Im not saying its valves fault but some traders don't have phones or can't download emulators, also valve didn't say anywhere that you had to have email confirmations on.

• Meh Meh x 1
  11. cnpjphillypwn

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    You thought you could do confirmations..with confirmations turned off? Um, alright. But I'm relatively sure that every trader can download an emulator and use it successfully.

12. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    I didn't think you needed EMAIL confirmations to be turned on in order to conform stuff over your PHONE

13. TheSmile

TheSmile Paint me like one of your French girls

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    How many of these anti-trade threads are gonna be made?

14. cnpjphillypwn

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    or you could have just read what it says: "You will receive an email or a notification in the Steam Mobile App to confirm trade offers which move items from your account."

15. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    probably a ton until valve starts listening to the community

16. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    or you could oh idk. Keep it in one thread? Making multiple is unnecessary for the exact same topic. If this was on a major forum they would've gotten merged(or deleted) or you probably would've gotten banned for a few days by now.

• Apeshit Apeshit x 2
  17. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    making just one makes it seem like not that many people have a problem with escrow..people are making multiples to try and show valve how much of a garbage system it is and how much they hate it

18. Lunaa

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    What i take from this is that your pissed valved fixed scamming and phising? and that your making MULTIPLE Threads to complain ABOUT ONE TOPIC! Calm the hell down and stop bitching about 1 thing. You seem to be the only one who DESPERATELY Wants this changed. Please stop spamming comments trying to defend yourself. Your getting no where.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Purplemonkeyfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 4
    I have posted 2 threads, one was asking for help cause I didn't know why the app wasn't working, and this one to get to know your thoughts on the topic, and obviously im not the only one who wants this to be removed

20. Lunaa

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    Odly enough, is seems you are. I believe many people, have already you. Included Joe himsefl! he doesnt care about how fucked up your OWN experiance is. If this fucked with a HUGE majority of trading he would. Your the only one complaining so just stop dude. You have MULTIPLE PEOPLE. Included some of which barely even trade! telling you its fine. SO please. Stop.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice