Today We Remember

Discussion in 'Previous Announcements' started by Jin&Tonic, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Often times, despite this being a gaming community, I speak of more serious issues and things impacting the world. And that's because while we may be here for gaming, there's no set limit to the level of discussion that can happen.

There's nothing wrong with being too educated, too aware or too well-rounded in your interests, beliefs or knowledge. And so, today I remember that day. I remember the fear, the panic, the unknown. I remember so much of that day, and very little does it console me.

There's not often words to explain the tragedy, just know that we all felt it. 14 years ago, this day, 2,977 innocent people died, over 6,000 wounded. They were mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters. They were of every race, creed, orientation and age.

It was at this time, 14 years ago, the North Tower fell. I remember watching it.

Yet, with all of this, Bravery was in no short supply that day. On a day where paralyzing fear was logical, many threw it by the wayside and did what they believed was right. They saved countless lives and brought hope to people who saw none.

I remember that day, I will forever remember. I will remember the silence, and the weeping. I will remember the stories of bravery and of selflessness.

It will forever impact me and has changed my life. Ask anyone who lived through that day where they were, and they can tell you. Their stories will show you.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Super Approved Super Approved x 1
    • Taser Approved Taser Approved x 1
  2. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    Such a well done way to explain it.

Even though this is a gaming community, you shouldn't forget what happened.

I could say more but I feel that's all that there is needed to say.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    Well said Joe. Truly a day that will be remembered throughout history.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your Mother

Your Mother Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    it won't ever be forgotten, Thats good. When i was younger i thought oh yeah some people died. How ignorant. Now i think about 9/11 and I feel bad for the innocent people. Lets hope nothing like this happens to us again.

5. James

James Truly Active

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I remember Being in what was it... 1st Grade i believe. i don't remember the grade but i do remember that we were reading are books in class and my principle came in and told my teacher to turn on the News and watch it, i can remember just sitting there and watching. i might not have know 100% what was going on back then but i do now and it is the worse feeling just to think about how many people of are great nation died that day. Not to mention the countless number of people who went into the building to help and died or are now sick because of it. You can find story's and pictures of people. There is one i wanted to post about but could not find about an entire firetruck crew who are credited with after arriving on scene help hundreds of people escape only at the end to as brothers fall when the tower its self fell. it amazes me you can read about fighter jets that took to the air without live ammunition, knowing that to prevent the hijackers from striking their intended targets, the pilots might have to crash their fighters into the hijacked planes.

I will never forget where i was.
    I will never forget what happened.

6. DRagon

DRagon Phenomenal
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +104 / 7
    "It is a day that will go down in history as one of the darkest moments in human history, this is true. However, we as humans will keep fighting and keep moving on, no matter who tries to stop us. Tragedy after tragedy, we have continually kept moving along, fighting for those fallen before us. After this day, we will keep moving forward, stronger than ever." - Unknown

I am actually tearing up right now.

7. Adrian

Adrian Potato Lover.
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +71 / 6
    Thank you Joe for making a thread and saying those touching words.
    God bless.

8. Qweetnokay

Qweetnokay Unwavering
    Donator

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    God bless you Joe, even on a community like this, these matters should be addressed, and you've done that perfectly.
    God bless ya' man.

9. Cobalt

Cobalt Face-Meltingly Active

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    I think I speak for all of us on that infamous day, in saying that each of us, remembers where we were, what we were doing when the news broke. That date, September 11, 2001, is a day which will not be forgotten. The memories and effects of the events that occurred will continue to affect the course of history. Let us hope it will be a long while before the next attack on American soil. Perhaps, with sound leadership and no small measure of luck, no event of that magnitude shall occur again.

10. darkosshear

darkosshear Professional Chewbacca/Napoleon Dynamite

Ratings:
    +168 / 8
    Thank you Joe for your wonderful adress of this terrible day. I am one of the unlucky ones who lost a family member in 9/11. My uncle John was in the North Tower and was helping with the evacuation when the second plane hit. He couldnt get out in time, but it comforts me to know he died trying to save others. <3

• Like Like x 2
  11. Your Mother

Your Mother Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah thats a good thing. He was doing what he knew was right, being brave and instead of evacuating himself he helped others. God bless you guys.

12. Qweetnokay

Qweetnokay Unwavering
    Donator

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Yesterday, fourteen years ago, and in fact a few days after I was born, a catastrophic and horrible event occurred on a cold september morning. This was a demonstration by Al-Qaeda of what happens when we forget; forget what happened in the previous years. They knew we let our guard down, and they knew to strike then with four Airbus A380s, some of the largest commercial aircraft of the time. This is why we must never forget, and we should commemorate those who lost their lives on this day of remembrance forever.
    <This may be the day after, but I did not have time to write this yesterday>

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice