Declined [TF2 Server Ban Appeal]: 76561198031258757 "Marcusd0"

Discussion in 'Server Appeals Archive' started by d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Everyone being those that have posted on your statuses and such have thus far commented on it and mentioned your attempts to get fake rep.

Also, you state the user who made this thread trolled and mocked you. Here's the entirety of the conversation you had with him.
    CtamkLu.png
    nihebWw.png

Where does he make mocking comments? To me, it seems you were angry with him for reporting you for trying to get fake rep and just tried to get him to remove the report. Not sure what that ending comment was about marking him on "the list" and why you told him "good luck".

Overall, the "I was just joking" defense is a hard sell when it comes to scamming or fraud and I mean nothing personally, but it is a serious offense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The last few comments he made. Of course I'm angry since he false reported me. An unofficial unusual high tier trader list with people that aren't marked on SR, good luck because I removed/blocked him. Unsure why I sound harsh when I say "good luck" and he can do all thath.

Well, I've had him on my list for a while and I tend to joke with a lot of my friends. If I'm not allowed to joke with my friends then I don't see why there's 1000's of marked users for related things. I'm not gonna tell u another story because that's what happend.

3. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Because your "joke" is scamming, you keep acting like you were marked for just telling a knock knock joke, you partook in something that is widely considering a scam by the community, and then after the fact you claim it is joking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Enlight me how I tried to scam him, or how this is a scam attempt.

It is, the bp.tf link where I suggested to remove/fix trust system was made before this report. So I obv was aware of the trust system not being proper made.

5. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Trying to garner fake rep is a scam.

And if the Bp.tf trust system is broken as you say, why would you attempt to then abuse it?

6. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scam would be related to stealing an item/$ or equivalent of an value without giving the item to the seller imho.
    I wouldn't describe it as abusing the rules to gain more rep since I never agreed anyone on my list should go through with posting a rep comment. I just, as I mentioned joked about it - some got confused (I explained), some replied with a joke & other took at way to serious it seems.

7. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Well scamming as SR defines it is:
    "[The use of] deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of or steal from another trader. See below for more comprehensive list of what qualifies for SCAMMER status. "

And in the list of what qualifies as a scam:
    "Providing or soliciting fake reputation claims ("fake rep")"

Taken from: http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/

My problem here is that the fault of taking your comments seriously is yours. You chose to do something that is considered scamming, but expected everyone to know it was a joke. And while you state it was a joke, it is also difficult to take credence in a "I was just joking" defense as it is often used after the fact to try to negate warn doing.

During this entire process, you maintain you did nothing wrong, but scamming people is wrong. And even if you are indeed being truthful about your intents, you still chose to attempt to commit a scam as a joke. The consequence of that action being that you were taken seriously and were reported. And while I do find it hard to believe you were joking, I still do feel that regardless, it's a situation that you shouldn't have engaged in if you wanted to avoid situations like this.

Going around committing acts that are considered scams for trolling purposes is bound to end with you facing the consequences.

8. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, thx guess you are right on the fake rep part then.

I understand, from your POV or people that wasn't involved it's hard to understand it was a joke. But it's just so one-sided when only 1 guy who claim "it was not a joke" sounds too me is not convincing enough.
    Sure, I shouldn't and wont ask for rep again. I just didn't know the severity of it. I'm unsure how serious this was, got guidance from a bp.tf (he contacted me) and said he figured it was a joke and all. But I don't know what I can prove more than showing the friends who was involved in the event.

9. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    It's an offense that is often low on people's radars, and I have nothing personally against you. I am glad you can see from our point of view it represents something that is an offense.

Overall, it's certainly something to be very mindful of, and personally, I deal with a large amount of reports for offenses and it is difficult to believe a "just kidding" defense, however, it's certainly something that is possible.

10. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So it doesn't really matter if I say it was an "inside joke" between most of my bp.tf friends? Or what's gonna happen next? Never been reported or looked at an appeal before.

11. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Saying it was an inside joke is a hard sell since not everyone was in on it then. But essentially, we can review the evidence on the given report and make a decision.

12. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, well everyone except 1.

So, what can I do now? I'm unsure why this isn't a pending report rather than an instant mark on SR.

13. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Well the evidence was reviewed and then you were marked based off of it. You've put an appeal and then it is reviewed.

Also, it's not everyone but 1, while you may believe your intent was clear, there was more than one complaint.

14. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    May I have access to the other complaints?

15. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    At this time we've decided to decline your appeal. We weigh our tags very cautiously and believe given the evidence that the tag is correct.

I will say this, if you wish for the tag to be removed, be careful with your actions, don't scam as a joke and we can re-evaluate an appeal in a few months. But at this time, we feel as though there must be consequences for such actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice