Overwatch/tf2 rip off?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Lunaa, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Lunaa

Lunaa Teddy Bear with a gun
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    So recently a game called "Paladins" was released by Hi-Rez studios(maker of smite). And if u watch gameplay of Paladins and look at the "champions" they resemble alot of tf2 and overwatch "characteristics" The tf2 engineer is literally within the game. And Reinhardt is in the games. Yes some of the characters dont look "exact" to the ones within both of these games. But they have similar characteristics / abilities. This game to me looks like it tryed to be overwatch and tf2, But changed a few things, typical. Tell me your guy's thoughts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. B4L

B4L Touhou Fanatic
    Donator

Ratings:
    +96 / 10
    [​IMG]

I don't think there trying to hide it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Newt

Newt "Great we're all bloody inspired."
    Donator

Ratings:
    +50 / 2
    I don't think this is a rip off of overwatch because this was in beta like way before overwatch was really even announced.

4. LordOfStalkers

LordOfStalkers Notably Active

Ratings:
    +30 / 4
    its for mac, yay!

5. Lunaa

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    Newt your incorrect, If u actually look the characters have the same abilitys as several overwatch characters. And this game was released recently

6. LordOfStalkers

Ratings:
    +30 / 4
    It's been in closed beta since Fall/Winter of 2015....

It's only been officially called OPEN BETA recently.

7. Dal Segno

Dal Segno Sufficiently Active

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    As I have not yet played this game, I can not say if it is a direct clone, but from game play and trailers it looks to be an independent game that combines the factors of other successful games in it's genre, every game has to do this to adapt and not become irrelevant. Every game has different development times, depending on the size of the company, and the amount of money they are able to invest in it. I couldn't find any facts to back up Newt's statement, but it wouldn't surprise me if Paladins was announced before Overwatch was, as Blizzard has much deeper pockets, and most likely more staff. I feel like the devs of Paladins took what was strong suits in both TF2 and Overwatch and combined them. Obviously valve approves of it enough to include an Engineer skin if its played through steam. In summary I feel like Paladins is a game that is a combination of multiple other games, but in its own unique. With the millions of titles that have been released throughout the past few decades, it is hard to make something completely your own, and almost every major game was called a clone of another game when it was first released

8. Keith David

Keith David Sufficiently Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Too be honest, it's a rip-off that can't be stopped. Yes, the beta was out long before the Overwatch beta came out, and it's true that it's not a direct copy, but c'mon, really? That engineer is enough evidence for me. The community might get some hate, and a big Overwatch YT channel already called this game out (Channel name: Force Gaming). This is purely unoriginal, and if the creators might have taken a year or two, they could develop their very own original class-based game. But doing this is shameful, it's really how they feel about it. There could be 100% confidence that there was no stealing of the engineer skin, or there could be pangs of guilt. I'll leave it up to the greater community to decide.

Actually, if there's one game that Paladins resembles the most, it has got to be Battleborn!

9. Newt

Newt "Great we're all bloody inspired."
    Donator

Ratings:
    +50 / 2
    ^^
    I knew about paladins before I knew about overwatch :D

10. Lunaa

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    To everyone in here that says it was out before overwatch beta. Your all incorrect. Overwatch open beta is what your considering. The beta for overwatch came out late 2014. Early 2015. If you go and actually play the game, or watch ANY gameplay u can see there is clearly some copying of abilities, character design. And other things like such. Please do not sit here and say that the game isnt a copy because it "came out first" Please research

11. LordOfStalkers

Ratings:
    +30 / 4
    Lmao, this is "Overwatch is a ripoff of tf2" again but this time Paladins is the ripoff lmao lmao lmao lmao

Oh yeah Skye/Cassie best body eks Dee

(Tbh there's absolutely no reason to trash talk a game for copying one another, It's been a common sales technique to bring in players into the community)

12. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    But there is gonna be a lot of anger. It's nearly inevitable. For something like this, I approve of the controversy. 1). Beacuse it's well deserved and 2). I haven't seen a good brawl in a while

13. cnpjphillypwn

cnpjphillypwn Forum-Clearing
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    Actually, this game was put in beta before Overwatch (although the idea for Overwatch was created before, it was not known) and at the time was apparently far different. However, once Overwatch was released, they made it similar to Overwatch due to its success. It's plainly obvious now, I mean just look at this .

Comparisons between Overwatch and TF2 are just somewhat similar but are relatively different as Overwatch is a FPS MOBA based on special abilities while TF2 is a FPS based more on movement and aim.

Paladins and Overwatch however are way too similar and it's too obvious to ignore.

14. Lunaa

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +110 / 13
    Once again, Paladins was in open beta before overwatch, yes. But overwatch was in DEVELOPMENT and known by people for longer

15. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    okay

16. Canadian Tuurtle

Canadian Tuurtle Activity Level: Poutine Fuelled

Ratings:
    +68 / 3
    jesus........... when did this thread turn into a war zone?

17. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Dunno, but this is what my school's Speech and Debate team should talk about

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice