My love story with the Command & Conquer series.

Discussion in 'General / Off-Topic' started by Noexecute17, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Noexecute17

Noexecute17 Unwavering

Ratings:
    +30 / 2
    [​IMG]

Greetings, thou, potential reader of my oncoming rambling!

Have a little music within the subject, maybe? Click the gentle smiley cat! :cat:

I love Command & Conquer.

Sorry, what was I saying?

I LOVEā¤ Command and Conquer.

The first great encounter which made me know the Command & Conquer series was in 2004, when I was standing atop my mere six years of age.

For my birthday, one of my dad's friends gave me a bundle for the original PlayStation (I acquired a PS2 later in '06) containing the first two installments in the series ; Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn and Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

For those who are unfamiliar with these great games by Westwood Studios, the first two I mentioned above are in fact, even if subsequent, two rather different games, may I even say the fathers of two sub-series. They have a different universe, timeline and story.

While the first game introduces us a scenario of world domination axed around a global conflict which itself depends on one rare and precious mineral resource; the Tiberium, the second title focuses on an alternate reality of ours where Einstein came back in time to kill Adolf Hitler in order to stop the rise of Nazism and prevent World War Two. But, 'cause there's always a but and a butt, by committing this assassination, the Genius of Relativity opened a straight-forward path for Russia to develop itself even more and become a major threat to the entire world, thus triggering an unexpected and different World War where the Allies and the Soviet Coalition fight each other during the 50's for the control of the European mainland.

Gettin' yer hair blasted by the wind of war yet?

Everything about this franchise before 2006 is magic. All of the soundtracks, composed by Frank Klepacki, are pure masterpieces, the gameplay feels smooth, fresh and perfectly right, the graphics always met the standards for the game's respective eras, everything went well.

Then came Command & Conquer 3, which was not bad. Then, Red Alert 3, which was mediocre. Then, Command & Conquer 4, which was the pile of dirt that killed the franchise for good. Yep, C&C is just another good series of video games mercilessly slaughtered by that greedy EA Games monster.

If you'd like to give a kick to this magnificent family which, along with Age of Empire, forged the modern RTS, I highly suggest you the two first Red Alert games and everything else which was issued in the 2nd half of the 90's/1st half of the 00's. I absolutely love them all and I hope you will have a good bunch of fun with these little gems.

Here are some links for those who are interested:

Command & Conquer: The First Decade - A collection of the first 6 C&C games with all DLC included. Priced at $20 with free shipping in the US.
    RedAlert1.com - Complete and free version of the 1996 C&C: Red Alert for FREE with all the expansion packs and full multiplayer support via CnCNet. Site and servers run by donations.

Enjoy! :)

PS: I wonder if I did well to post that thread in the Off-Topic sub-forum instead of the Entertainment section. If any member of staff wishes to move my post, please do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Noexecute17, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    <-- loves RTS games
    <-- Loves Age of Mythology the most
    <-- Played CnC: Generals mainly, but has played the older ones(most uncompleted)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  3. Noexecute17

Noexecute17 Unwavering

Ratings:
    +30 / 2
    Age of Mythology is probably my dad's favorite RTS. We used to play on LAN together until he got back to Q3A. :)

Generals is also an excellent installment among all the gold we can dig within C&C. I was so excited about the 3D when it came out. Of course, there's Renegade, but it just ain't the same. :phantom:

4. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I played quite a bit of Renegade and it was...meh. I enjoyed it(mostly), but it had its fair share of problems.

5. Noexecute17

Noexecute17 Unwavering

Ratings:
    +30 / 2
    Cannot really disagree with you. The overall felt a little clunky and strange. However, if you're willing to give to the sole concept another chance, there is an excellent free fan-made game called Renegade X which focuses on multiplayer fights with bases. :)

6. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour is probably my favorite game, at least among them. I also like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and Civilization.

There's also a new game that came out recently meant to feel like the C&C series, called Grey Goo. I've played it, it's not bad, it's not as good to me, but I did enjoy many of its features. It recently got an update, I'll have to try it again.

7. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I suggest you guys also take a look at Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal. I enjoyed that quite a lot and there's custom maps & gamemodes. Best of all, it's on Steam.

8. Noexecute17

Noexecute17 Unwavering

Ratings:
    +30 / 2
    Thank you guys for your suggestions! I now know how to spend my pocket money!

I love to write reviews in French but if you guys are interested it'd be a pleasure to expose my own views towards your proposals in Shakespeare's language. :playful:

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice