Trial Moderator Sal's All-Trade Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Archived Staff Applications' started by Sal, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steamrep Profile Block
    | steamname: Sal
    | steam3ID: [U:1:318467168]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:159233584
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198278732896
    | customURL:
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198278732896

Which server(s) do you wish to apply to be staff of?
    All-Trade

What position are you applying for?

How much time do you have in our servers?
    20 days 15:26:25 hours

Please list your schedule of when you would be on the servers, include day, time, and timezone
    All week from 1 AM to 11 AM EST

How old are you?

Do you have a mic and do you use it?
    Yes, but I don't use it. I don't like using a mic in English speaking servers because English is not my first language so I have trouble spelling a lot of words correctly. Also I suffer from Social Anxiety so I get very nervous when speaking on the mic.

Tell us why you should be a staff member
    I will give you a little introduction about myself first. My name is Rayan and I'm a very active person on All-Trade 3. I have been playing there since I was a free to play. Since the first time I joined All-Trade 3, I knew I was going to spend a lot of time there and I did. I play there almost everyday and it's the perfect server for me, I can trade, kill, box, spycrab and more. I never idle, if i'm standing in spawn doing nothing its because i'm in a trade or i'm managing my Backpack.tf and Outpost trades, so 90% of my time spent there is actually me playing.

I admit that I made mistakes in the past, got into pointless arguments, acted immature. But it only happens when i'm having a really bad day and it's very rare but I promise to not do any of that again.

Now why should I be a moderator?
    I have noticed an increase in cheaters and mic spammers these days and they usually come to the server at 1 AM to 8 AM EST and not many staff are online at that time but that's the time where i'm the most active. This last happened today when 2 aimbotters joined and one of them reached 500 points until a moderator finally joined and banned them, so if I was a moderator they would have been banned way sooner. I also come across a lot of very disrespectful people using racist and homophobic slurs and nothing is done about them. It saddens me because this is my favorite server and I care about the experience of other people playing on it. So it angers me when I see innocent people just trying to enjoy their time there get people calling them names and ruining their experience.

Yes I don't use the forum or mumble, but I promise to be a good and active moderator and handle things professionally. Yes I don't use a mic, but I promise to be capable of moderating the server without one and be just as good as a moderator with one.

I spent a lot of time on All-Trade 3 and had the most fun and made the most profit there than any other server, so I feel it's time for me to return the favor by protecting the server against cheaters, spammers, etc. I hope you give me a chance and I will try to do the best I could.

2. The Medic

The Medic Notably Active

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    +0 (read below)

Hey Sal!

Cool application. I can see you've put a lot of time into it.
    I'm gonna have to give this a +0 for now, as i've not met you, or havent noticed you. Reading your application is interesting to me though. Seems like you have thought it through, which is a good thing.

I've got a few questions, if you don't mind me picking at this application, just wanna know a little more about you :)

About the mic usage. You state to suffer from social anxiety, do you feel it only affects you when you use the mic? I can imagine it could affect you when moderating too, as sometimes, the people you must deal with, aren't the nicest and accomodating people.
    Ofcourse we're not required to use our microphones 100% of the time (I too have to sometimes use chat, as my laptop mic isn't the best) , but it really increases your effectivity. Would you be able/willing to learn to use voice chat ingame and in mumble?

Later on, you mention "a few mistakes in the past". Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes. You mention that it happens when you have a bad day. Is that something that happened in the past too? Or do you still have those bad days now?

Last thing i just had to note, Loving your passion. It really seems like you have a fire burning to add something, and be a good influence!

-Medic

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Medic!

I actually have seen you quite a few times on the server and you even offered on one of my unusuals before! (Vivid Plasma Nunhood) But you may have not remembered me because of my recent name change and my lack of activity in the chat which i'm trying to improve.

English is not my first language. I learned it mainly from Video Games and from chatting with people online. I almost never speak English, I just type English, so I don't actually know how to spell a lot of words properly when speaking it, I just know how to type them properly. So when I try to speak, a lot of what i'm trying to say can be hard to understand. That is another problem I have with using the mic, it's not a permanent problem of course, but for now i'm more comfortable with just using the chat.

I really only get anxious when using the mic, i'm perfectly fine when using the chat, I can handle most people and most situations just fine.

I do still have bad days, but when they come I don't take my anger out on someone else anymore.

4. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
    Having a functioning mic is highly recomended when applying for staff, as it improves communication and presence in-server. Ignore the anxieties you have with the mic for a moment. If you were able to, would you able to have the mic, or is it too much a burden to have?

5. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Sparky! Sorry for the late reply!

Honestly I don't think I can currently use a mic, I may be able to in the future.

6. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
    Hello @Sal

We would like to thank you so very much for applying for a position here. After very much discussion and deliberation regarding your application, I have decided to decline it for now. We believe that your social anxiety might be a point of concern when moderating on a server such as this. We understand we all have our afflictions, and want to manage them as easily as possible. and what I can recommend is for you to get integrated into the community. The main way you can by do that is by joining our Mumble server (https://forum.harpoongaming.com/mumble/ ) After awhile, if all goes well, you can re-apply and we can go on from there.

I'll also leave this application open for a couple days for any comments, questions, or concerns.

Thanks for understanding.

7. PieMoose

PieMoose Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +7 / 2
    Hey Sal, I don't now you, but I will support you in trying to get past your social anxiety. I used to have the same problem, so trust me, I understand. Try your best, because I am certain after you beat it, Sparky will accept you( Your application was damn good, one of the best I have ever seen.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright thanks :)

9. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you very much PieMoose! I think I will get a good mic as the one I have right now is my laptop mic and it's really bad, then I will start going to the mumble server and try to get comfortable there, get to know the staff and the regulars more, I think that's the best way to approach my problem.

10. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
    After reconsideration and discussion, I've decided to re-open this application.

@Sal

11. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
    Hello @Sal , we have decided to include you in the next All Trade Training

12. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much Sparky :)

13. Risa

Risa Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congratz

14. Sal

Sal Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you! :)

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice