Just ordered parts for a new pc <3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hunternental, Feb 28, 2015.

1. hunternental

hunternental Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    So I have a bunch of parts coming in for my new computer! I can finally get off this shitty apple. I ashamed just for using one.
    Anyways, Got an AMD FX 8350 processor with an XFX Radeon 290X Video Card (kinda budgeted thats why i went with AMD instead of Intel or GeForce) So hopefully it will turn out nice since this'll ACTUALLY be my first build ^-^ What kinda builds does everyone else have? Or did you just buy your computer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TheSmile

TheSmile Paint me like one of your French girls

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    I think @Eoj Charlie could shed some light upon this thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Brunerth

Brunerth Hippie
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +200 / 21
    I can totally (never ever ever EVER) help you with this! I'm as tech-savy as a rock!

4. hunternental

hunternental Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    you know, a rock could do a computer wonders. it could crush your enemies' computers with one throw :3

• Approved Approved x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Please dont read this if you are actually going to take me seriously, your current computer is fine, im just giving my opinion on how it can be better, not why you should through out your current build in favor of mine.

First off, the 8350 is a rip-off, its just a overclocked 8320.:banghead: Buying a 8320 and overclocking it to 4ghz is not a tough task. I got mine to 4.4 ghz, while I could get it to 4.5, my cooling solution simply was not good enough to handle it under heavy loads. Though, not a bad choice for newcomers who are not comfortable with overclocking and for only a small price increase;). Second, taking that 290x and replacing it with at gtx970 would be a better solution for cheaper the price, ALTHOUGH, you will not get 4 full gigs of vram. The gtx970 is advertised as a 4gig card when in reality .5 gigs of the ram is under clocked and has terrible performance. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970 <-------direct comparison between 290x and gtx970

6. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    The GTX 970's performance is fine. The .5 may work differently, but there's hardly a huge performance difference.

Here's my current one I just recently built:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
    Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive:Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

#6 Jin&Tonic, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  7. Cobalt

Cobalt Face-Meltingly Active

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    What's the build cost and initial budget for that?

8. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Initial budget was up to 3k, I spent about 2.2k.

9. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    How come you didn't include a larger power supply for future upgrades? What's your opinion on utilizing SLI?

10. Jin&Tonic

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    850 Watts really covered the majority of my parts and then some. It allows me to cover the majority of my bases and still add more. Keeping in mind that at a certain point TOO much future proofing isn't efficient.

As far as SLI, I'm not too familiar, however, given that not as many applications use it, I rather have one strong GPU than two lessers. Keep in mind that I use my computer professionally and that's what motivated the high specs. (Gaming is just a benefit).

I'm even considered getting a Titan X and calling it a day. But going back to "at a certain point TOO much future proofing isn't efficient", there's talks of a new NVIDIA tech that would make the current high end GPUs a poor investment.

11. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    I agree with all your points, though I would add in an Nvidia Quadro for professional applications as well. Nvidia also revealed their plans for the next-gen Pascal in 2016, and the Volta in 2018, so I guess you can wait for one or the other for a better investment.

12. TheSmile

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    images.png
    Me reading this thread

13. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree in full. I cannot, for the life of me, think why this person would possibly need to use a titan (let alone a quadro) for his "professional applications"

14. TheSmile

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    By using that i meant i was clueless what anything in this thread meant, what is a titan and what does a quadro do?

15. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    In a nutshell, they are what look like graphics cards, but are really intended to be complete separate cpus that are meant for extreme computing power. This kid here wants to put 1-2 of those in his pc where he says he is using them for "high computing programs." and occasional gaming. Not only will his cpu terribly bottleneck the performance of the titan/quadro, but I also dont think that one program he could get his hands on would remotely put that kind of hardware to its limit. In my eyes, I thought that picture meant "are you crazy? that's stupid!"

16. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    I want a Titan X so badly. It's almost 1/3 of the price of the Titan Z now, some places you can purchase one for 840$. Perhaps it would be a good option.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice