Addressed Suggestion: Have a discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by Eko/Spoooder, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eko/Spoooder

Eko/Spoooder Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Please name your Suggestion/Bug Report:
    Have a discord

Is this a suggestion or bug report?:
    Suggestion

What does this report affect?:
    Harpoon Gaming (in general)

Please elaborate on your suggestion:
    I think that you guys should get a discord instead of a mumble. Discord Can sync with steam and is much more diverse than mumble. You can have mods and it will show everyone which mods/admins are online. People will be able to find others to play with and add each other with it because it syncs with steam,skype and more! Well that's my suggestion if you agree leave a comment and bye have a great day!

Any Additional Information?:
    No If you guys do decide to make a discord I would love to be a mod on it :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    I don't know if we would switch off mumble, but having a discord is a consideration in discussion currently.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Super Approved Super Approved x 1
  3. Deleted member 7754

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I think having a discord server ( that is free no matter how large ) would be a great idea.
    Please do consider this https://discordapp.com/

4. Canadian Tuurtle

Canadian Tuurtle Activity Level: Poutine Fuelled

Ratings:
    +68 / 3
    Although it's a good idea, I feel that mumble is much more reliable and does alot more of the same things discord does. sure it dosent look super clean and crisp, but that's not what it's for. We already have a dedicated list of mumble admins and you can quite easily see who is in the mumble by just looking at the different channels. I am not 100% positive on my next statement so don't take iit as fact, but as I understand discord is a free to use service while Joe has paid or does pay for the use of our mumble ( correct me if I'm wrong) so maybe the switch would be worth while in the end.

5. Canadian Tuurtle

Canadian Tuurtle Activity Level: Poutine Fuelled

Ratings:
    +68 / 3
    Come to think of it having a public discord server could make it alot easier for regulars and players to connect and talk with staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    I think any idea to open more doors for communication is a good idea. Obviously not literally ever door because that would be a nightmare to moderate, but discord has been growing in popularity alot and it seems like alot of people are asking for it.

7. Machigai

Machigai Sleeping Is Bliss

Ratings:
    +74 / 5
    I love discord, I use it everyday and i'm always on it and i'd love for HG to have one : )

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deleted member 7754

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same with me, I'm always on discord.

Bonus Suggestion: You could setup a bot to alert staff of !calladmin reports.

9. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    Is there not already something to alert people of calladmins?

10. Stormsplycce

Stormsplycce Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    I use discord almost exclusivly, and it is alot easier to set up and use for new people. I think HG needs a Discord server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lauren

Lauren Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Mumble I used to like once but its a bit tough to roam around and not much user-friendly for a beginner. But if you talking bout Discord. Oh brother, let me tell you.

Discord
    1. Discord has first groups. Groups in the sense like Admins, Staff, Donators and much more. Add to that, it's much much easier to find out who is an admin of now or not. Compared to Mumbler which is just a few names (6 only people were there last time I joined) and you don't know who is what ranking.

2. Room Division. Basically, some people share memes, music and stuff. Like talks, gaming and etc. So CHAT rooms are divided as per Hashtags like #talks, #music, #memes and so on. As for voice chat, people can easily go to different rooms. Perhaps for a casual game? Or trading privately or some stuff. An Admin Private Voice chatting room with the staff?

3. Much user-friendly due to its big size, and chats. And when using "/" in chat, you could find the many options to use. Even get you own emotes into it or play around with bots.

4. You can ban or mute users based on how they act by locking rooms to certain users while opening. Even restricting count of how many users you would like in one room or not.

I know cause I use a lot of Discord CHAT with friends while playing Casuals and stuffs. Just get one link, add in, done. Mumble....its confusing. Address, portal, Naming. Its...ugh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
  13. Lauren

Lauren Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    @Sparky
    We have a server~ Then why are we having a topic still in pending~?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iTrade ™

iTrade ™ Spectacularly Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +31 / 3
    Agreed. I, for example, didn't know there was a Harpoon discord server until now.

15. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
  16. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    To be fair, many of these features can be done with mumble. Regardless, we've launched a Discord server as of yesterday which Sparky has linked.

It was launched yesterday, and as this thread was posted after we had already begun making it, it didn't cross my mind until now.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice