Suggestion Declined Suggestion: Optimization on slots

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by _Fog, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Fog

_Fog Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Please name your Suggestion/Bug Report:
    Optimization on slots

Is this a suggestion or bug report?:
    Suggestion

What does this report affect?:
    All-Trade Server

Please elaborate on your suggestion:
    Hi guys,

Muu sent me this way to pose a suggestion I had that could potentially benefit the server.

In personal experience I have found that it is somewhat difficult to gauge whether I will be able to join as a non-donator. I understand that there are always a set amount of donor slots allocated, however it is rather difficult at a glance to know how many are on without checking server info pages.

I was hoping to pitch the idea of having placeholder accounts (bots if they would work?) to make up the server player count if all non-donor positions are taken. This would allow users to see quicker if they are able to get in the server, and would also allow the "auto-join" function to work as intended.

I understand that the idea is simple to pitch and possibly less so to implement but I feel it could give benefits overall.

Cheers
    _fog

Any Additional Information?:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Agniratha

Agniratha Time to tip the scales!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +415 / 37
    Hi fog.
    The reason we don't have placeholder accounts for the server is that if donators try to join, it will give the message of "Server is full" and not allow access. The player cap on the all-trades are 31 with a reserved slot for donators that kicks the most recently joined non-donator, keeping the reserved slot for other donators to use. If you cannot join one of our servers becaues it is full, try one of our other servers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    The larger issue is that our system allows donators to use the server browser rather than using the IP. By doing this and making it easier for donators to join, it disallows having that 32/32 for reserved slots. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice