Archived Suggestion: Calm Down on the Mic! <3

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by Muu ♡†, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Muu ♡†

Muu ♡† Mildly Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +10 / 2
    Please name your Suggestion/Bug Report:
    Calm Down on the Mic! <3

Is this a suggestion or bug report?:
    Suggestion

What does this report affect?:
    Harpoon Gaming (in general)

Please elaborate on your suggestion:
    After experiencing in game problems regarding the mic usage of when people talk over each other or don't let traders get their requests out on the mic, even after admins ask them to stop, I have come to a conclusion/solution! My idea isn't something I have thought about in a few minutes, its something I have thought of for some time now and here is what I am thinking to potentially help and fix these issues.

1) When someone is speaking on the microphone, it shows a red dot on everyone else's hud to show that the mic is occupied and a green dot when no one is using the mic.
    2) The one guy that won't shush up... I came up with a time limit for everyone (not including admins obviously) of 20 seconds... I came to this time because sometimes people like to come up with creative ideas to advertise and I believe 20 seconds is enough to do that. If the person on mic wants to stop talking before the 20 seconds are up, they may choose to do so. A time should be up for the person using the mic at that time.
    3) In addition, a cool down time of 10 - 20 seconds for each person allows other people to have time on the microphone so the server isn't listening to the one person spamming on the microphone (which I have experienced times before). Admins/Staff may decide on the cool down time as I have not come to a decision on this.

Any Additional Information?:
    Thanks to Sick And Disgusting for helping me come up with the cool down idea!

Feel free to post/comment on anything regarding my idea to the mic usage within the Harpoon Gaming community. Any support or criticism you may have can help my idea!
    Cheers! <3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Disapprove Disapprove x 1
  2. Frisk

Frisk Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Have you ever seen on (some) TTT servers where the mic has a timer? A small meter appears next to your name that shows how much time you have left before your mic is cut off. That might be a good idea but there are a few problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DRagon

DRagon Phenomenal
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +104 / 7
    In TTT, a lot of information is going out most of the time. It's ultimately up to the player's common sense on how long is too long on the mic. Not to say that holding to mic for 30 seconds straight talking about random stuff is not annoying, but this would hinder the players who actually say important stuff when needed imo.

4. Frisk

Frisk Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I know, I admined a TTT server before. I thought he was mentioning the TF2 trade servers so I presented the idea from TTT servers. Of course it needs to be changed to fit with TF2 trading but I simply put it out there xD

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Sick

Sick Rage-Inducing Activity

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I think it would be great for the tf2 trading servers and those servers alone. I think the idea is a great one personally.

6. Muu ♡†

Muu ♡† Mildly Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +10 / 2
    Yeah I was referring to TF2 and thanks for all of your thoughts! I would love to see this happen in tf2 cause truthfully, HG needs it in TF2. :3

• Like Like x 1
  7. Party Lux

Party Lux Positively Active
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +67 / 7
    1. With the dots on the screen to show mic is occupied. When someone is on the mic it shows the name of who's talking and shows that the mic is occupied. I don't really seem the need to make a plugin to do this is, if TF2 has it by default.

2. Dealing with the one guy that seems to talk a lot. Simply asking nicely can go along way. Most people are understanding and will listen to you if you are polite to them. Telling them to "shut up" etc. wont get you far. You'll get your guy that won't care what you have to say at all, that's when you can use the !calladmin command if no admin is in the server. (you can use the command !admins to see the admins currently in the server.) The admins will handle the situation.

3. Personally I don't like the idea of limiting someones ability to speak.
    • Some people's advertisements are longer then 20 seconds
    • If someone just did their advertisement and someone ask a questions; They wont be able to respond effectively for 10-20 seconds
    • A lot of traders like to have a nice conversation with other traders. This wouldn't be possible with a time limit.
    • No one likes to be muted, And with this they would be for 10-20 at a time if they use up their time limit.
    I see where your concerns are and why you wish to bring this into the servers. This idea is great in theory but not so much in action. I Appreciate you taking the time to put this together, but me personally is against this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Thank you for the suggestion, however, we won't be implementing this on our servers at this time.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice