Is Major League Gaming a Sport?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Qweetnokay, Aug 7, 2015.

?

Are video-games sports?

1. No doubt!

2. Meh, in a way.

3. No, not at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Qweetnokay

Qweetnokay Unwavering
    Donator

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    There has been a lot of debate about this, as competitive gaming has been shown on the channels ESPN 2 and ESPN 3, which are well known to be sports channels. The head of ESPN himself said he doesn't agree with MLG being a real sport. What do you guys think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I rest my case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Super Approved Super Approved x 1
  3. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    Yes

Remove 'yes' from 'yes' and make it no.

Major League Gaming is not a sport for the following reasons:

(Warning: Boring health lesson ahead)

Major League Gaming is perhaps the most STUPIDEST sport I have ever seen before, it's not even a sport as Lord said above. This sport is a bane to the body, as it involves rapid eye motion, and rapid movement in the fingers. Playing on the computer/console too much or too intense causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, a pain and stress which can go from your wrist to your shoulder. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can cause the following:

• Diabetes
    • Thyroid dysfunction
    • High blood pressure
    Those are just a few of what Carpal Tunnel causes. See? All of the above are BAD, you heard me, BAD. Do you see what MLG is doing to the human body?

That's right, ruining it.

Major League Gaming should not be such thing anymore, as I, with many others, believe it is not healthy for the human body. It may cause eye damage, pretty serious damage to the eye. Do you wanna be wearing glasses for the remainder of your life? Please, I wear glasses, and though they might look cool at first, they aren't.

I really hope this might tell you the dark side of MLG, just.... Gaming should just stick to casual competition. No need for a big stadium, or a huge cash prize.

Stay safe, gamers.

4. Brunerth

Brunerth Hippie
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +200 / 21
    Ok, now let's go over the bad sides of "actual sports". I'll start with the "girliest" one and my personal favorite: Soccer. People say it's "whimpy", it's "not a real sport", it doesn't take any skill, blah blah blah. It does. It is extremely intense, and there's a very good chance that you can end up on the ground faster then you can blink. This isn't even one of the more dangerous sports. Football is pretty intense too. You get knocked down just for holding the ball. Rugby. I don't even understand that game but it looks even more brutal then football. The point is, E-Sports are nowhere near as dangerous or bad for you as "real sports".

5. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    I know, I know, we were talking about MLG, right? Since when is killing people both ingame and in the real world a good thing? At least you're getting active when playing soccer and football. What do you think sounds better as a title?

1. I ruined both my eyes and arms while playing a virtual game tournament
    2. I injured my leg in a soccer tournament

Both aren't good, but at least you got that leg injury by saving a goal.

Whatever though, just my opinion. I think video games are fun and all, but I really think MLG is overrated and rather dumb.

6. TheSmile

TheSmile Paint me like one of your French girls

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    People that play football/rugby breaks all sorts of body items and hockey players have less teeth than a baby.

The worst injuries ive gotten from games are either cramped thumbs or headaches.

7. DRagon

DRagon Phenomenal
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +104 / 7

Yes.

8. Cobalt

Cobalt Face-Meltingly Active

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
  9. cnpjphillypwn

cnpjphillypwn Forum-Clearing
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    Whether its a sport doesn't matter, it's how much money can it generate. Gaming tournaments have already surpassed the prize pools for some "real sports", although still lagging behind the major sports in the world. It'll probably become the next big thing, although whether you want to call it a sport or not is up for debate (and kind of pointless to argue about, to be honest).

10. Agniratha

Agniratha Time to tip the scales!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +415 / 37
    Was gonna post that

11. James

James Truly Active

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I don't understand why people who play video games would not consider eSports a real sport i mean eSports is what is getting video games out of the dark from being played by people who have no life as most would say to being looked at in a whole new light a light that says Hey we put a lot of time and effort into what we do to become the best just like you would playing football or baseball or what ever sport it is you play. I mean i Enjoy gaming on a level that i consider it my hobby while other might go out and play lets say golf all the time because that's what they enjoy, i enjoy staying home and playing my video games, and for that matter Lord Ptolemy is right sports is defined as

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I've hurt my hands before by playing to much for to long (Physical Exertion) and i take lots of time to try and be the best at what im playing because it is indeed still my hobby (Skill) and for the most part Online Games have a mode where you take on another team i mean come on most (But no all) people on the forums play TEAM Fortress 2, and ill use the ones people know as the most for other examples. Call of Duty & Battlefield. (Team)

Theres really not else i can say on the Matter but i 100% Believe that eSports is a real sport because eSports does everything that the the word Sports defines as a Sport in the dictionary.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice