Smash The Final Fighter

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Taser, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    First of all, hello! It's been freaking YEARS since I have been on Harpoon. Sorry for being away so long. Had a lot of personal baggage to deal with, which is still a massive struggle, to be honest. However, it's good to be back among friends. Never should have left.

ANYWAY, as some of you may already know, on Tuesday, 5th of October, Masahiro Sakurai will be revealing and presenting the very last fighter for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, after almost 3 years since its release.

I, myself, am a huge fan of both Smash and its reveals, and am always at least happy that someone got who they wanted. They can't all be for me, and I certainly have no right to complain after they added freaking SEPHIROTH.
    [​IMG]
    FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (photo taken by me)​

However, I have been thinking about who I would want the last character to be, and so I figured, "Hey, why not make my first post back on the HG forums the same as I used to do? Waffle on about a load of old shit and see if anyone responds to it." So here I am, doing just that (oh, I bet you guys freaking missed me)! Also, I am a bored insomniac, so let me have this one.

Before I discuss who I want, I'm going to lay some ground rules down, just to follow some recurring things I have noticed with the DLC thus far. Those rules are as follows:
    • No R rated or M rated franchises - whilst Bayonetta is a fighter, she was already added back in the Smash 3DS/Wii U days. Every R rated or M rated reference in Ultimate's DLC reveals, i.e., those who have become Miis, have been referred to by their name, not their franchise, such as 'Dante' instead of Devil May Cry, and if I remember correctly, that's due to some new ERSB rulings. Not even their age ratings have been mentioned, yet Shantae's and Tales Of Symphonia's were, so that says it all.
    • No one from a franchise already represented in the DLC packs, else this whole list will be Final Fantasy characters, as much as I'd love for Tifa to be upgraded from a Mii and for Noctis to warp across the stage.
    • On that note, no companies represented in Fighters Pass 2. If they were in Fighters Pass 1 but not 2, they can still happen. Square Enix is in both, for example. Nintendo is the obvious exception to this rule.
    • No companies who got Miis during Fighters Pass 2. Every company to get Miis has had their Miis with their fighters, such as Geno returning alongside the Final Fantasy content, so seeing as we already got Capcom skins, for example, I don't see a Capcom character happening. The only exception that has happened so far is Heihachi from Tekken getting his skin back when Min Min was released, which I feel they did to hide the fact that Kazuya was on the way.
    • No one who is a Mii already. The whole point of Miis being added is to give at least a little representation to those who they could not obtain rights for when the decisions were made, but were at least allowed to show some love to, or to show love for other popular requests snubbed out by someone else in their franchise (I'm sorry Tifa! Q__Q).
    Right, finally, actually discussing the characters I would love to see. I clearly have to start with the obvious franchise, for those who know me well.

POKÉMON
    If I am being honest, I'd be okay with a Pokémon rep being the final fighter. However, I'd also be somewhat disappointed. We already have plenty, and there are so many other franchises out there that would make this finish with a bang. However, I do think a few of the gen 8 entries would make great fighters. Cinderace comes to mind for the starters, with the potential to have lots of fiery soccer ball based attacks. Another one that came to mind was Urshifu, but given it has 2 different forms that it cannot swap between, I don't think it would be as good a fit. Nope, my Pokémon pick is Toxtricity.
    [​IMG]
    Pokémon Sword & Shield

Toxtricity is an Electric/Poison type Pokémon, with 2 different, purely aesthetic forms that they can easily implement as skins. The weird lumps on its chest act like guitar strings (lead guitar on Amped Form, bass guitar on Low Key Form), which it can emit powerful sound waves from, which is what a lot of its best moves are based around. It also has a unique Gigantamax form, which summons, and attacks with, a giant guitar made of lightning. To me, that sounds like a wicked Final Smash. Like I said though, I'd rather the last character was a rep for a currently absent franchise, to finish strong. I feel another rep for a franchise already in Smash would be a massive let down, even for fans of that franchise.

Next up,
    KINGDOM HEARTS
    Now, I know I said no repeated companies from Fighters Pass 2, and here, I'm going straight to Square Enix, but there is a loophole. Technically speaking, Square only develop and publish Kingdom Hearts. The series and its original characters are in fact owned by Disney (which is also why this will never happen in a million years).

Whilst Disney are notoriously hard to deal with over things like this, some Disney execs and Smash devs have been on record to say that yes, they'd like to see Sora join the fight one day, and so would I.
    [​IMG]
    KINGDOM HEARTS III
    Sora would be a fantastic fit for the Smash roster. The lead character in a hugely successful JRPG franchise, Sora has great sword combat skills and abilities with his oversized keys, including now transforming them into different weapons (easily could make a move set out those alone) and also possesses great magical prowess, too. Here's the thing. If they were to try and get Sora, Disney would want far too much money, and we already know that budget can be an issue, hence the little music Cloud came with in Smash 3DS/Wii U, and how Sephiroth only brought an extra 7 tracks with him for Ultimate (stupid 3rd party copyright holders). Plus, how likely is it that Disney would allow Smash to use the imagery of characters like Donald, Goofy and Mickey for spirits and stage cameos? Sora is sadly a huge budget and rights issue, but I would love it if they did manage to overcome these problems one day.

Bit of a wild card next.
    EARTHWORM JIM
    [​IMG]

I don't think I really need to caption this image's origins. It's kind of in the image.​

A staple of my childhood. I loved this character and his first couple of games (we don't talk about anything outside of Earthworm Jim 1 & 2). Let me set the scene.

An earthworm named Jim accidentally finds himself in a suit that gives him a human like body with super powers, able to use his worm head/body as a whip, with loads of different types of blasters at his disposal. Meanwhile, an evil queen with a giant slug for a butt, called Queen Slug-For-A-Butt is after the suit to take over the universe, and is also holding Princess What's-Her-Name hostage. Jim must rescue the latter. Can you see why my prepubescent ADHD mind loved these games?

With his large range of weapons and his head whipping abilities, he'd be an amazing roster addition. Sadly, after his first couple of games, he went handheld which was a huge mistake, had a disastrous PR nightmare with Earthworm Jim 3D, and his upcoming game, Earthworm Jim 4, is going to be an Intellivision Amico exclusive (yep, you read that correctly). Jim has fallen into one of the biggest vats of video game mascot redundancy to have ever existed, but maybe Smash would be the pick-me-up that he needs so desperately.

Okay, final one. Of all of my top wants for Smash, I feel this is the one with the best chance to make it. I shan't get my hopes up, of course, but if I had to pick any one character to join Smash, it would be...

CRASH BANDICOOT
    [​IMG]

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

Who doesn't think that Cash Banooca would not be an amazing fighter in Smash? He jumps, he spins, he can throw a punch, he has a freaking fruit bazooka, and he has access to mask friends that can give him all sorts of abilities. He can also ride a motorcycle, fly a biplane, throw crates, fly a jetpack, slide tackle, belly flop... This character is insanely diverse and has loads of potential for a move set. It helps that, aside from the Looney Tunes themselves, he is as close to a Looney Tune any gaming character has ever been.

The obvious argument against Crash right now is that he is owned by Activision, and that is a whole heap of different messes and lawsuits at the moment. However, those issues only blew up to such a public and dramatic state recently, so if Crash had already been decided, I doubt that would affect him getting in, especially if they are revealing the final fighter as soon as October 5th. To entirely drop a character and develop a new one would mean a few months delay. That, of course, is not to say he is definitely in, either.

There are many other worthy combatants with the potential to join Smash, and I would love to see who you guys want ahead of the big reveal. It's always a favourite gaming discussion topic for me, and I'd love to know who you want and why.

Anyway, this has been me typing to try and get my insomnia to piss off, and I think I can finally feel a yawn coming on. I'm going to bed. See y'all real soon!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Taser, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Super Approved Super Approved x 1
  2. Reggie

Reggie Please, say it more clearly
    Staff Member Deputy Head Admin Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +89 / 10
    Honestly i've seen so many wack theories in regards to who could be the last smash character. I've seen fortnite character, doomguy, master chief, waluigi... Hell, i've even seem some people say SAKURAI is going to be the next smash bros character (most likely jokes but still).

This isn't based on anything, but I really would love to see the siblings from Astral Chain into Smash, but I know Bayonetta is already in the game.

I would need to check up on what games would be released around the time the DLC would be released, and check the publishers first before I can make a real informed decision, but please sakurai bring the siblings from Astral Chain I beg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Perp703

Perp703 Face-Meltingly Active
    Staff Member Head Admin

Ratings:
    +134 / 6
    A part of me will forever want scorpion from MK - there should be a representative of every major fighting game and seriously MK is iconic they deserve a rep

crash makes sense for fan service

just dear god no more fucking fire emblem characters

Earthworm Jim would be dope af

my pick tho for who’s actually gonna get in would have to be another Pokémon especially with gen 4 having the remakes and legends arceus coming out. I’d hope for one of the cool new Pokémon that’d make a ton of sense like grimmsnarl but my guts telling me gen 4

so I believe it will be Infernape - it has enduring popularity and will be heavily picked in the remasters and it being bipedal and a natural fighter makes sense

4. Perp703

Staff Member Head Admin

Ratings:
    +134 / 6
    And if it’s infernape watch for his ultimate smash to be a reference to THAT fight with electivire - arguably the best fight in that series - infernape stokes its blaze and just goes ham sammich

5. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    To be fair, I doubt that has any affect on decisions at all. The DLCs are often decided way in advance, and rarely line up with releases or anniversaries. No ARMS release near Min Min, Sephiroth was well after Remake's release, and before they even announced the PS5 upgrade, We haven't had a Banjo-Kazooie release in yonks... Whenever that sort of thing does work out, it's likely coincidental.

6. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    Would love Scorpion. He could have a cool 'Fatality' Final Smash, initiated by the 'GET OVER HERE' grapple, then breathe fire at his foes. If they go over 100%, like Zelda's and Bayonetta's Final Smashes, they instantly explode and are KO'd. I think Joker's Final Smash works in a similar way, and they censored the blood spurt with sparkles to match Smash's aesthetic, so something similar could be done there, too. But again, the ERSB rules with the R and M rated games makes me feel this won't happen, which makes me sad, as I think he would be an amazing choice.

We already got a Fire Emblem rep for Ultimate via Byleth, who I think is actually one of the better ones that series has due to their uniqueness. Actually fun to use. I also doubt we'd ever have more FE reps than Pokémon reps at any one time.

IF we get a Pokémon rep, like I said, Toxtricity is my choice. But if it is a gen 4 starter, I'd pick Empoleon. Great fun to use in Pokkén Tournament. But they rarely actually line up Smash DLCs with releases or anniversaries on purpose. They did that with Corrin in Smash 3DS/Wii U and got a lot of backlash for it being nothing more than a game promo choice. Ultimate seems to have steered away from that strategy.

7. Perp703

Staff Member Head Admin

Ratings:
    +134 / 6
    Watch it be something from a new property like a genshin impact character

8. Reggie

Reggie Please, say it more clearly
    Staff Member Deputy Head Admin Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +89 / 10
    Perp you have officially jinxed it now

9. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    [​IMG]

10. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    In all seriousness, I feel like they will go out with a huge bang. It's going to be a super popular choice. They will have learnt not to finish on a niche or not super popular character from ending the first Fighters Pass on Byleth.

On that note, I still say Byleth got far too much hate, but I do think Byleth should have been in the middle of the pass, not the last one. Had Banjo & Kazooie been that final one, people still would have gone ape shit for them, and if Byleth was in the middle of the pass, they probably would have only seen the smaller amount of people moaning like they did when Terry Bogard entered the fight.

11. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    Also, extra note. Sora might have been given a lifeline, and I kind of just want to touch on this a moment.

Back on July 30th, a 4chan post surfaced which was claiming Nintendo had called Disney Music, asking for the rights to use KINGDOM HEARTS music for an upcoming digital event. Naturally, people dismissed the post immediately, being 4chan. However, we recently learned that the final fighter will be revealed on October 5th, and the July 'leak' actually stated that said digital event would be taking place on October 5th.

So, there are 3 possibilities I can see here.
    1. The post was indeed fake and the date was nothing more than a lucky guess.
    2. Sora is joining Smash's roster.
    3. Sora is becoming a Mii costume.
    The way I see it, it was most likely a lucky guess. However, if it was indeed the truth, then I predict a Mii costume rather than a fighter. I have several reasons why.
    • If Sora was a fighter, I have to assume Nintendo would have grabbed the rights to the music way sooner, so they could start developing remixes of some of the tracks.
    • Given how late they are getting the rights, I also have to assume they are getting the rights for just a single song, to use when revealing him as a Mii.
    • Disney are notoriously difficult to deal with if it is not their own product, and no way in hell would they let Smash get content like Disney characters as stage cameos, Final Smash cameos, or even spirits for the DLC spirit board.
    Imagine if he is the final fighter though. Imagine if we actually get to see Disney characters in Smash. Sora does a Final Smash against Simon Belmont, and it is him, Donald freaking Duck, and Goofy. Donald and Goofy in Smash. I'd love to be wrong and to see Sora get in, because I love KINGDOM HEARTS, but I cannot see it happening outside of a Mii outfit.

12. Perp703

Staff Member Head Admin

Ratings:
    +134 / 6
    Fuckin send it make it hello kitty if we are going for just popular characters

13. Taser

Taser Ace Trainer!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +377 / 25
    You know what I mean. A highly requested fighter. It's not going to be someone that hasn't had a lot of requests over a longer period of time.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice