Addressed Suggestion: More Donor Chat Colours

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by Gorrah, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorrah

Gorrah Notably Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 2
    Please describe your suggestion or bug report
    It came to my attention that many donors use the same colours as each other when having the availability to have a unique one from the 7 available.

The most commonly used is Pink by far, Peach and Coral are often used as well. Red which is cool but isn't too unique due to the red team having their names the same colour so it's not too easy to stand out. Light Green is the most uncommon one to see due to it legitimately looking like Shrek's shit, it's very underwhelming in all honesty.

I just would like more options to have each donor be more varied in their choice of their chat colour.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Gorrah, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Elohim Yuri

Elohim Yuri Spectacularly Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Hmm, if more colours were added, i would have purple. :>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Approved Approved x 1
  3. ⇋AustinHimself⇌

⇋AustinHimself⇌ Unwavering

Ratings:
    +14 / 3
    I think this is an excellent suggestion

4. Canadian Tuurtle

Canadian Tuurtle Activity Level: Poutine Fuelled

Ratings:
    +68 / 3
    Alright first off, you aren't the first and you probably won't be the last to ask about donor chat colors. I asked back in 2016 so here is what information I know.

There is a preset number of chat colors available in tf2 ( not sure if this applies to all source games or just Tf ). So when Joe (Eojcharlie) and the early staff implemented the chat colors plugin they ran through each individual color to test how they would look in game. The result was that most of the colors didn't meet a certain standard. Some were way to bright to be read, others to dark, some couldn't be seen at all if the player was in a dark room or corner and vise versa with brightly lit areas.

So taking those factors into consideration the colors we have left now are the few which succeded in each of the areas of concern.
    That's the reason we haven't added any new ones.

I hope this helped! :)

5. Reggie

Reggie Please, say it more clearly
    Staff Member Deputy Head Admin Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +89 / 10
    yea, I agree with Tuurtle.

6. Jyn

Jyn Notably Active
    Retired Staff Donator

Ratings:
    +34 / 9
    I'm sure there are plugins out there which could expand the variety, i mean i found a link with a google search that could have any colour. I know its from 2013 but I cant imagine much has changed. (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1721580)

7. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    I feel like you didn't properly read what tuurtle said.

8. Jyn

Jyn Notably Active
    Retired Staff Donator

Ratings:
    +34 / 9
    I may have misread, but I read it as the plugin they are using only supports the valve colours. You may be right and they selected the current colours from a full rgb range. I could be wrong

9. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    It was that it's not about having a larger variety, its what colours are universally readable. If tf2 had a permanent translucent box behind the chat it would sort of alleviate that maybe, but it doesn't so RIP

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    We'll review this this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice