What's on your monitor?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sugoni, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    Thought this would be interesting for people to share and explain.

3 simple questions:
    1. What monitor setup do you have?
    2. What do you have open on your monitor/s generally?
    3. Why do you have it set up that way?

1. Currently I have an LG ultrawide monitor. it's a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080, 25 inches from corner to corner although that's a bit skewed because it's wider. It's roughly the same height as a 23 inch 16:9 monitor.
    If all goes according to plan however I should be getting second standard 1080p 16:9 monitor. Some generic bran dbecause it'll be second hand but it won't come with a stand attached so i'm gonna need to find a creative solution for that.

2. First off i generally always have the forums open, either side by side with youtube or in the background when have tf2 open. Second is I'm a film student and i'll be working in adobe premiere for editing mostly, with a few one offs here and there in other software. That'll pretty much always take up the full screen.

3. I wanted to get a widescreen monitor in the first place just because I thought widescreen games would look cool in 21:9 (which they absolutely fucking do (if you can even get them to run in 21:9 (damn you CS:GO and your menu scaling))), but after considering it for a while I realised many other great things about it.

I love movies, and if you've never seen it movies look great when you don't have black bars in the top and bottom. Most movies are shot in 21:9 with some movies sticking mainly to 21:9 and having some 16:9 scenes to make those scenes have more of a presence. When movies are 21:9 only, it is glorious to watch. (The Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and TRON: Legacy, some of my favourite movies, switch between 21 and 16. While it looks fine on my laptop, it annoys the hell out of me on my PC but eh. Minor annoyance when it comes to those movies.)

Also, when working in software like adobe premiere, you generally want ALOT of screen real estate. When I was deciding on what I was gonna build my PC setup with, a second monitor wasn't an option because of limited desk space so I thought it would be great to have more screen without getting more screens. It didn't cost much more than a 1080p monitor of the same size so it was a pretty good deal, Although having even more screen if i
    I get that second monitor will be far better. It'll also allow me to have chrome open on another monitor when I'm playing TF2 and the like rather than trying to tab out and having source freak the fuck out when I try.

I might show what my setup generally looks like with just my 21:9 and with both screens when I get back home from holiday just to brag because holy shit i'll brag so much.

TL;DR invest in a 21:9 monitor you won't regret it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Chipwhite

Chipwhite Scarcely Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    1: i have a macbook pro... not much else to say
    2: mostly tf2 cuz its fun
    3: ask the creators of the macbook, idk :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    You really took it to heart didn't you lol

4. Reggie

Reggie Please, say it more clearly
    Staff Member Deputy Head Admin Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +89 / 10
    I have a 13.3 inch screen with 1440 x 900 px.
    I usually have applications such as Steam, Team Fortress 2, Mumble, Google Chrome and Discord open.
    Because I am a poor man and i have to afford a macbook air early 2014

5. ⇋AustinHimself⇌

⇋AustinHimself⇌ Unwavering

Ratings:
    +14 / 3
    1: Recently picked up a pair of LG 32MA68HY-P 32in. monitors and I have them placed side by side on my desktop.

2: The display varies. Usually when I'm just looking to relax, I'm usually reading posts on the /x/ board on the right while watching a livestream or listening to music on the right. When I'm gaming, the right has whatever game I'm playing while the left is either idle or playing some sort of music. When I'm actively trading in TF2, I have the game up on the right while I have bp.tf and outpost on the left for pricechecks and listings.

3: The second question sort of answered the third one for me, but it's mostly set up for convenience for whenever I'm currently trading, multitasking, and relaxing.

6. Sylvan Evergreen

Sylvan Evergreen How can I help?
    Staff Member Head Admin Discord Staff All-Trade Staff

Ratings:
    +52 / 18
    1. On the right side of my desk I've got an LG IPS LED 55cm monitor, my main monitor is a Huion GT-220 V2 IPS Digital Display.

2. This question is a bit odd for me, as I switch it around constantly. I guess the obvious is that usually my main window is on my main display, while my secondary window is, you guessed it, on my secondary display.

3. I have my main monitor as my digital display because it makes it so much easier to move into a more comfortable position when I'm drawing.

[​IMG]

• Super Approved Super Approved x 1
  7. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    Dayum that's a nice looking setup

8. MichaelAndJello

MichaelAndJello I'm not a foundation

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    1. I got 5 monitors, the main one being a 24" 1080p asus in the middle, a 7" tablet on top of that with an app that lets me use it as a display, to the right a vertical 19" whatever p, next to that an old 16" 4:3 726(?)p monitor, and I use my TV as a monitor also sometimes.

2. On main, chrome or game, on the right one discord or mumble, next right one spotify, tablet either a clock or messages, and tv usually vids or games that are better with a controller

3. hehehehehe

9. tikupra

tikupra Scarcely Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    1. ASUS VG245, a nice monitor, recently bought aswell.
    2. Copious amounts of furry stuff or TF2
    3. Once you go 23" you never go back... and it fits my setup nicely, rather sleek in design and all that.

10. Princess Fox

Princess Fox Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I run with a 21" Acer Monitor at 85hz. Beautiful little thing. I love it to death and once I build my new pc I'm gonna buy another one and run a dual monitor setup. Plus my dektop is ocd-clean so that's a plus[​IMG]

11. Sugoni

Sugoni 19 =/= 14
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +91 / 14
    You'd hate to see my desktop. I never take care of it cause i never look at it. I always use the taskbar. I should really just delete everything off my desktop tbh

12. Princess Fox

Princess Fox Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's how I was with mine at first, but I just shoved everything into a folder in a folder in a folder etc. until it got clean cause I was tired of seeing it lol

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice