Guide A Guide for Chemistry Sets

Discussion in 'Guides' started by FlyingAnonymoose, Nov 8, 2013.

1. FlyingAnonymoose

FlyingAnonymoose Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +86 / 20
    So, with the recent release of Chemistry Sets, and the lack of understanding about them, I've decided to write up a guide for them.
    What are Chemistry Sets?
    [​IMG]
    Chemistry Sets were added in the August 27, 2013 patch. They require arecipe which consists of miscellaneous items. The recipes can range from a handful of unique weapons and a cheap strange weapon to a handful of hats and a Strange Festive item. Once all the required items are obtained you can craft a strangifier. These are used to make your hat have the strangequality. Strange hats differ from strange weapons, though. They do not count just kills, but rather leaderboard kills. This means that if you hold the TAB button down, however many points you scored since you put on the hat will be added.

How do I get a Chemistry Set?
    As of now, there are three ways to get them:
    1) The drop system (I have heard that they have the same drop rates as hats)
    2) Trading
    3) The Community Market

I have all the items in the recipe, why can't I craft my strangifier?
    [​IMG]Now, once you obtain all the ingredients required, you need to go to your backpack and select the Chemistry Set. Once you have clicked the 'Inspect' button the crafting menu will come up. You will notice that the crafting button is not usable and is grayed out. You must actually drag the ingredients to the right menu. Once all of them have been placed, the 'Craft' button will become usable. And once you click it, Ta-da! You've crafted your strangifier!

How do I apply my Strangifier?
    [​IMG]
    Can I make my Unusual a Strange?
    This is a very good question, to which the answer is yes, you can. The item will remain having its unusual color quality, but you will notice that it now will track your leaderboard points. Here is an example of an Unusual Strange Villain's Veil.

My Strangifier isn't tradable, why?
    If your Strangifier isn't tradable, then that means you used an untradable item for the recipe, most likely an achievement item. There is no way to make it tradable again, but you can use gift wrap to trade it. This trade is an example of an untradable Strangifier.

Can any other special quality items be made Strange?
    Yes, this is the same as unusuals. I found this trade on Outpost, and decided to check their backpack. It is indeed a Strange Vintage Camera Beard. I am unsure if it applies to Genuines, as well, for I have yet to see a Strange Genuine.
    If you have any more information about Strangifiers applied to other qualities, please let me know.

The difference between Strangifiers and Chemistry Sets.
    Now, people use these words interchangeably, but I want you all to know the difference. A Strangifier is what you get from a Chemistry Set, they are notthe same thing! Once the Strangifier is applied, it can be directly applied to the hat.

What hats can be Strangified?
    Currently, the only hats that can be made strange are as follow:
    ►Bonk Boy
    ►Fancy Dress Uniform
    ►Sight for Sore Eyes
    ►Bird-Man of Aberdeen
    ►Toss-Proof Towel
    ►Teddy Roosebelt
    ►Archimedes
    ►Villain's Veil
    ►Camera Beard
    ►All-Father
    ►Merc's Pride Scarf
    ►Robro 3000
    ►Summer Shades

There is speculation that more hats will be added to this list in the future. As some users on Reddit have discovered that multiple hats have had new attributes added, such as 'can_strangify'. These new hats are not guaranteed to become usable with Chemistry Sets, though.

What are the rank names for Strange Hat?
    The ranking for strange hats are as follow:
    • Strange (0 Points)
    • Ragged (15 Points)
    • Tacky (30 Points)
    • Secondhand (50 Points)
    • Odious (75 Points)
    • Garish (100 Points)
    • Comfortable (135 Points)
    • Dapper (175 Points)
    • Sharp (250 Points)
    • Fancy (375 Points)
    • Fancy Shmancy (500 Points)
    • Fashionable (725 Points)
    • Glamorous (1000 Points)
    • Posh (1500 Points)
    • Fabulous (2000 Points)
    • Stunning (2750 Points)
    • Epic (4000 Points)
    • Legendary (5500 Points)
    • Australian (7500 Points)
    • Mann Co. Select (10000 Points)
    • Mannceaux Signature Collection (15000 Points)

Keep in mind that these are Leaderboard points, not just kills!

How much should I sell/buy Chemistry Sets for?
    Now this is a difficult question to answer because of the randomized recipes for each Chemistry Set. People will generally pay more for ones with cheaper recipes compared to one that needs a Strange Festive item or another expensive one. The most common price to see Chemistry Sets sell for are around 1 - 3 keys. On Outpost, though, I have seen people claiming to have offers of around 7 keys. These prices are fully at your discretion, though.

That's all I have to say on Chemistry Sets, and I hope this has helped you! I'll update this whenever new information arises that I think you guys should now!

Edit (9/1/13 10:37PM): Added points for each hat rank
    Edit (9/2/13 1:11PM): Added info for special qualities; Added info about untradable Strangifiers
    Some sources: Chemistry Sets, Strangifiers, Strange Hat Ranks
    Special thanks to Reddit users: u/genemilder; u/sandulf
    Special thanks to TF2OP users: SirRutchenkov, sV Corrupt, pwny^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    I'll prob give this a custom url, any requests?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Svos™

Svos™ Sufficiently Active

Ratings:
    +15 / 1
    Well made guide Flying! I now understand Chemistry Sets much more, thanks.

4. ryaneus

ryaneus Sufficiently Active

Ratings:
    +13 / 2
    Nice guide! Btw, what does this even mean?
    Mannceaux Signature Collection

5. NinjaNick

NinjaNick The one and only

Ratings:
    +36 / 2
    The guide is very well done, great job! Still wondering if it can be applied to genuine though.

6. Svos™

Svos™ Sufficiently Active

Ratings:
    +15 / 1
    I know it can be applied to a vintage.

7. Backseatsman

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +266 / 13
    BANG! Applied one to his Self-Made Bonk Boy so I'm pretty sure it would be able to be applied to a genuine.

8. Storm

Storm Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Brilliant guide, Mouse! I sure hope they make a Fukaamigasa Strangifier. :D

9. FlyingAnonymoose

FlyingAnonymoose Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +86 / 20
    Just a title, like "Totally Ordinary" for strange weapons.

10. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Walker Texas Ranger Fanatic

Ratings:
    +30 / 17
    Must take forever to get to last tier.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice