Overwatch Some questions about Overwatch for you guys!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Levi Heichou, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    Overwatch has been out for a little while now and I was wondering who here has the game and for what platform. I was also wondering what your guys' thoughts on the competitive scene is (eSports not ranked matchmaking). Also what are your guys' personal experiences with the game; what would you add/change, how much did you enjoy it (if not why?), and anything else regarding the game you want to provide!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NotoriousRebel7474

NotoriousRebel7474 Forum-Clearing

Ratings:
    +80 / 8
    Never played it end of questions for me. But cool to see that esports is getting involved with overwatch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    Yeah a lot of big eSports orgs from other games have already been invested in the game since before the live release back when the game was in beta. But it is definitely a fun game to play both competitively and casually especially if you're into fps games!

4. NotoriousRebel7474

NotoriousRebel7474 Forum-Clearing

Ratings:
    +80 / 8
    That's why I play team fortress 2 :p

5. Cake_Enterprise

Cake_Enterprise Notably Active
    Retired Staff Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 3
    I have Overwatch for P.C (Casue why not) and I feel the comp for it has gotten way better than last season which had sudden death and was based on a coin flip. It was all depented on who can have the most stalling moves to hold everyone off. From playing the game I feel they should revert Hanzo back to what he was where his shots mattered not spamming arrows and getting headshots with fucking log arrows. They also gotta fix Roadhog cause his fucking hook is so overpowered. The new buff was bullshit cause they got rid of the only chance you had of getting away from it, because now you get teleported back to where you got hooked and its almost a certain death when you get hooked as any Hero even tanks. The hook should be used to disrupt Ult uses and when the enemy team begins to push. I feel they should give Roadhog a delay to shoot when he hooks someone so someone like Mcree or Tracer or even Reaper has a chance to get away from him. But overall I love the game.

#5 Cake_Enterprise, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  6. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    The thing with nerfs and buffs to heroes that I personally love is that they are based mostly on the professional scene. When Lucio and Zenyatta were getting picked 100% of the time before their nerfs Blizzard clearly saw they were too powerful. The thing about Hanzo is that sure some of his shots seem kinda bs sometimes and so does Roadhog's hook but it still requires a good player to be able to fully utilize those. As a DPS player trying to play Hanzo or Roadhog I suck despite people thinking they are OP. A character is only OP only if someone with little to no experience using them can pick them up and instantly be a god as them hence why they nerfed Genji so heavily. Genji was a hero that not only saw a lot of competitive play but was a hero that was meant to be as good as he was in the right hands, however, Genji was good no matter who used him way too good in fact. Essentially a hero that was supposed to be difficult to even be decent at was way too easily used effectively and not because the players using him were good but because his combos were too easy to pull off.

But back to Hanzo and Roadhog not only do the two rarely see competitive play even now it was a lot less before the buffs especially for Hanzo. Gods from Luminosity, now NRG, used to be one of the best Hanzo players but once he got nerfed Gods quit playing him because Hanzo truly was too underpowered but now with his bigger than post nerf yet smaller than pre nerf arrows shots that are only slightly off their mark will hit whereas post nerf there was no room for error and pre nerf there was too much room for error and in regards to the projectile speed increase it is because long range, where Hanzo should thrive, his arrows were too slow and easily avoided. So if you die close range to a Hanzo it is not due to larger hitboxes or faster arrow speed you would have gotten hit and died anyway but those buffs merely meant to put Hanzo back in his niche as a medium to long range sniper where post nerf he was suffering. Roadhog they simply "buffed" because it was a cheap way to avoid getting killed. Yes his hook is still half the time bs but the times when it wasn't were being taken away due to the target being hooked somewhere not in front of roadhog but either way a good team can still protect their teammate from a Roadhog hook so he is still pretty well balanced all things considered. :)

7. Keith David

Keith David Sufficiently Active
    Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I play on PS4. Don't shun me :woot::drowning:

8. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    There is the door if your inferior control scheme can navigate through it ;)

9. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Move left stick up until reaching the door.
    Press "square" to open the door
    Walk out
    Repeatedly press RT to shoot

10. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    What doors in OW require opening? da fuq

11. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    It's a literary device

12. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    ok well good luck aiming at me to shoot with a controller and OW's shitty aim assist on console that they have yet to fix after 3 attempts Kappa

13. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I do better with the controller than on PC. I know this because I had the beta on PC

14. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    pc>everyone

15. TheSmile

TheSmile Paint me like one of your French girls

Ratings:
    +309 / 44
    Good Mei+Good Genji+Good Tracer all on the other team=Why bother

16. Keith David

Donator

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I do have Overwatch on the PC, but I like it better on PS4. Only way my opinion could change is if I can get a better PC

17. cnpjphillypwn

cnpjphillypwn Forum-Clearing
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    I don't have the game but I feel the only reason why it's competitive (similar to other Blizzard games) is because Blizzard dumps tons of money into it. It's an alright competitive game but is only so successful because of insane prize pools.

I'd rather not buy it as I distrust Blizzard's ability to continually be able to balance the meta and keep the game not pay-to-win, since I played Hearthstone but it became an unbalanced and required either way too much time for grinding or paying for cards.

18. Levi Heichou

Levi Heichou Unwavering

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    The game won't be pay to win. Blizz already said long before the game came out that all new heroes and maps will be absolutely free and the only thing money will get you is skins which you can already get for free either by leveling up and opening up the loot boxes that are free to open or by using the in game currency that again you get for free. And Blizzard has yet to put any of their own money into prize pools barring the ongoing World Cup any other tournaments featuring the game have supplied their own prize pools. Lastly, it is competitive by nature since it a team based game that requires individual skill and team coordination to be successful as well as featuring naturally competitive gamemodes such as payload, capture points, hybrid (CP and PL) and KOTH. Please before ever commenting something get your facts straight or at least have a basic understanding of the subject.

19. cnpjphillypwn

cnpjphillypwn Forum-Clearing
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +111 / 9
    I'm not attacking the game but rather stating my reservations for why I don't want to buy it.

Companies can say many things but I don't care what they promise as they aren't obligated to keep it, I look at previous games they've made and judge their business model from there. Hearthstone is rather pay to win (as most card games are) so I'm not completely sold on their promise, particularly because there was a controversy earlier on when they said it would not be pay to win on release (which I am aware they revised but that's a flag for me).

Blizzard dumps money into advertising and sponsorships, which leads to contact with competitive esports leagues hosting the game even before it came out of open beta. $30,000 in prize pool money during a game's beta does not just happen to come out for every single FPS out there and it is because of Blizzard's influence.

The "naturally competitive gamemodes" you listed are extremely common, just because they have teams going against each other does not make it competitive. I've played KOTH and CP on Adobe Flash games and those weren't even multiplayer. My word choice there was off though, meant to put "main" reason instead of only as later on in the post I said it was an alright comp game.

Simply put, I have reservations about the company and game that makes me reluctant to spend the money needed to get the game.

20. Sparky

Sparky Epic Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +112 / 6
    I believe that Overwatch will certainly grow to a point that it will be a e-sport. In some cases, it already is, but with more time, we'll see higher prize pooled tournaments, even more skilled teams, and better funding by Blizzard for hosting events

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice