TEACH MEH 'BOUT GAMING PCS!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sylvan Evergreen, Dec 17, 2013.

?

Do you hae a gaming pc?

1. Yes.

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Potatoes are secretly cats.

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sylvan Evergreen

Sylvan Evergreen How can I help?
    Staff Member Head Admin Discord Staff All-Trade Staff

Ratings:
    +52 / 18
    I need to get a gaming pc sooner or later but know nothing about what I should get or what I should look for! Please teach me stuff!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NinjaNick

NinjaNick The one and only

Ratings:
    +36 / 2
    Never buy from Alien Ware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Brunerth

Brunerth Hippie
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +200 / 21
    "Alien Ware is only bad if you have Windows." My one friend says it is amazing with Linux.

4. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Alien Ware is like Apple. You're paying more for the brand than you are for the contents.

I personally bought an Asus Gaming PC and then upgraded it. If you're even more adventurous, build your own. That's what I plan to do when I get some more time. It's cheaper plus you learn.

Otherwise, buy a decent one and upgrade it. Still saves you money.

5. Agniratha

Agniratha Time to tip the scales!
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +415 / 37
    I'm sure you have more than one friend, anyway. I'm getting a decent PC for christmas.
    and if you are buying one, make sure you look around and compare. Like joe said, with alienware. ou're paying more for the brand than you are for the contents.
    Always check what you are buying and see if you can get any cheaper elseware, I was going to buy one from a website for around £400.
    then from what Anonymoose told me that I could save £100 if I were to buy the parts seperatly and build it. so now I'm getting a PC around £450 and what is in it is worth more that 2 of the other PC.
    the moral of the story is, Always check what you are buying before you do, or you could have wasted a good amount of money

6. Sylvan Evergreen

Sylvan Evergreen How can I help?
    Staff Member Head Admin Discord Staff All-Trade Staff

Ratings:
    +52 / 18
    Any models you reccomend for a sorta-beginner? I like Asus, cheap prices for good quality computers.

7. ThreeCalories

ThreeCalories Still D.R.E.
    Donator

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    If you're looking for a "gaming" PC. Build it, "gaming" PCs are sold at higher prices because they're "high end", when you could probably save several hundred dollars by building it if you're willing to take them time to learn how and then taking the time to build it right.

8. PowerLemons

PowerLemons Unwavering

Ratings:
    +27 / 6
    Build it.
    It's significiantly cheaper, it's easy to do, and it doesn't come with junkware.
    (P.S. I made this on my phone, my phone made it look bigger than it actually is :c)

#8 PowerLemons, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  9. Tissue

Tissue Global Elite
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +84 / 8
    Like lemon said build it :)
    Just go around websites and search for the cheapest.
    However, I think it needs atleast 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, a decent GPU, a decent power supply.
    The rest should be alright with any.

1GB XFX Radeon HD 7770
    Intel Pentium G850, Socket 1155, Dual Core, 2.90GHz
    LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x DVD±R
    Fractal Design Core 1000
    500W Storm Silent LPJ19-25
    MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Motherboard
    4GB Corsair Value DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333)
    500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm
    Windows 7 64BIT Professional
    This is however realllyyyy tight with budget of £300
    It can run games like DayZ with decent FPS and Battlefield 3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NinjaNick

Ratings:
    +36 / 2
    You say it's easy to do because you've done it before. For someone like me that barely knows how computers work and what components to buy it is harder then it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ramibot

Ramibot Rami's personalized forum bot.
    Staff Member Chief of Staff Universal Staff

Ratings:
    +429 / 53
    Yeah don't buy Alienware haha. I built my PC for around 450 pounds and it runs all my games at good spec with smooth frames.

When custom building a computer always make sure the processor and motherboard can work together, and make sure you know how much and what type of RAM it can have.

Can someone give me a website to download moar RAM pls?

12. NinjaNick

Ratings:
    +36 / 2
    moaram.com

13. PowerLemons

PowerLemons Unwavering

Ratings:
    +27 / 6
    • Approved Approved x 1
  14. Are You Sure

Are You Sure Escalfrio forced me to change this.
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +61 / 8
    If you're looking to get a gaming PC, build it. I built the one I am currently using (With help, because this was my first attempt at it.) If you have any tech savvy friends, they could help you. If you don't, you can go into pretty much any computer store and ask for parts/a list of what you'll need. You can also find parts for the computer at www.newegg.com (That's where I got everything for my computer)

Be careful though, sometimes the software/parts will have an unexpected error (I.E when I got my components, My motherboard was broken, so I sent it back and ordered a new one, that one was broken too.) Always be prepared to have to replace parts!

15. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Well you should watch some videos on Youtube about building gaming PC's. I recommend you to check Linustechtips out. He got a very nice channel explaining everything you need to know.

16. meta_mach

meta_mach Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't get an Alien Ware they're just over priced Dell computers and not what you want. If you want a good gaming PC like everyone else has said build it. If your worried buy a bare bones kit they come with everything you need already you just assemble it. They even come with a manual on how to assemble the pieces. The most important part of your rig is going to be your graphics card though so you will want to figure out what card you want. Then build everything else around that, or just get a bare bones kit with a decent graphics card already in it. If you want top notch a bare bones kit would not be good either you would want to select every piece on your own.

17. Nickmandelson

Nickmandelson Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Definitely build it. Pre-built PCs are ridiculously overpriced. If you don't know how to build one, then there are plenty of tutorials on the internet. You can build your PC pretty much however you want, but just remember to make sure that all of your parts are compatible with each other. Also, you can never go too overboard on the power supply, give yourself plenty of room to upgrade.

18. plus10charisma

plus10charisma Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a tip, make sure everything is compatible. E.G. certain motherboards only work wither certain processors. If you end up getting really good parts that aren't compatible you'll want to cry.

19. Dadacham

Dadacham Scarcely Active

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You know the difference between a $800 Dell Inspiron and an Alienware?

$1000

*Rimshot*

Here's a good site for the OP getting a good idea what parts your system needs based on your budget and what kind of rig you are looking to put together.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

It's a spread sheet covering everything from a $250 junker to a $3.5k behemoth and every individual part config in between.

20. watamacha

watamacha hat wearing person

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Headroom on psu is overrated. You want 100-150 watts headroom, but beyond that your money should be put into getting a modular psu with higher efficiency certification and better brand/manufacturer. An efficient psu is quieter, a modular increases airflow and makes cable management easier, and a good manufacturer means your psu won't catch fire. Having tons of headroom for future upgrades isn't a good idea beyond 100 - 150 since the only upgrade that would bust that room is future sli or future crossfire, an upgrade often talked about but seldom used since the cost of matching gpu down the road is usually greater than buying a newer, cheaper gpu that provides the same performance boost.

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice