Suggestion Declined Suggestion: Switch to/Test Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by Lord Ptolemy, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    Please name your Suggestion/Bug Report:
    Switch to/Test Discord

Is this a suggestion or bug report?:
    Suggestion

What does this report affect?:
    Mumble Server

Please elaborate on your suggestion:
    Instead of using Mumble we could switch over to using a Discord server.

Perks over Mumble:
    • Don't have to download anything. There's a web version that people can use to connect
    • upload images
    • Better interface(idk about you guys but mumble is pretty ugly)
    • Notifications
    • Per user volume control
    • IP Bans (does mumble have that?)
    • free server
    • history so people can catch up on conversations
    • Constant updates
    Problems:
    • It's new
    • Has bugs, but are usually ironed out quickly
    • overlay is buggy and windows only currently

Any Additional Information?:
    You can attempt to become a partner if you wish as well: https://discordapp.com/partners
    Some of the perks are apparently going to get removed/changed so you can attempt to get in before that happens. Though no promises as they have a big backlog to go through.

Some places to get servers to try it out.
    Discord Developers Server: https://discord.gg/0ESuwoZe4M2OU2JA
    Discord Server List
    Reddit Server List
    Google Search

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jin&Tonic

Jin&Tonic Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
    Staff Member Owner Universal Staff Discord Staff

Ratings:
    +2,352 / 75
    Thank you for the suggestion, however, due to the Open Source nature of Mumble, the fact it is free and can be actually placed on a server, we'll be staying with it.

If you're interested, in having mumble look nicer, I'd recommend the Development snapshots from http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

I've considered Discord in the past, I've used it, and there's a few controls I'm not the biggest fan of. The lack of control on the server end especially. With our mumble, it's coded to automatically sync with our forums and that's something we can't really do with Discord. It's certainly a handy app, however, for our needs, I don't believe it is powerful enough yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    Well thankfully this wasn't accepted as Discord has been getting multiple DDOS attacks since Christmas. Along with mass spam about Star Wars spoilers. The DDOS problem should be mitigated in January as they're changing their datacenter setup to better fight it. Don't want to give anyone a bad first impression about Discord. :)

I'll take a look at the dev snapshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice