Suggestion Declined Suggestion: Staff Applications

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by TheVenomWithin, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVenomWithin

TheVenomWithin Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Please name your Suggestion/Bug Report:
    Staff Applications

Is this a suggestion or bug report?:
    Suggestion

What does this report affect?:
    HG Forums

Please elaborate on your suggestion:
    So, I recently found out that a members post on any staff members application get deleted.

Simple request, prevent users from posting on applications. Lock it for mods only or something? Dunno. Would help noobs like myself not create spam.

Any Additional Information?:

2. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I would think it's not locked for very specific instances where a non-staff member needs the ability to post in an application. Though if you click on the staff application links (any one of them should do). Click on the "Code of Conduct" tab. You'll find this:
    Though #1 should be added to the forum rules as most people wouldn't find the CoC as it's nested under the area for submitting applications.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Some Porcupine

Some Porcupine Rage-Inducing Activity
    Retired Staff Donator

Ratings:
    +209 / 30
    If there is any information about an applying staff member that you think may change the consideration of their application, you are able to address this to any staff member along with proper validating evidence. Also, it just sort of seems like common sense to not post on other peoples applications...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I would also think it would be common sense to not break into a store and steal it's products.
    or
    I would it'd be common sense to not go snooping through someone's personal belongings.

Do you get my point?
    Your common sense is different from another person's common sense. So saying it should be common sense is kinda a moot point.

5. jacobhd404040

jacobhd404040 Forum-Clearing
    Staff Member Advisor

Ratings:
    +167 / 5
    Not only is it found in the code of conduct to not post in applications that are not your own, you insulted his age, saying the fact that you are eleven doesn't help your app. While age may be taken somewhat into account, we focus more on maturity. It is not your place to insult the age of anyone as it is an attribute that they cannot change. I understand that generally being younger comes with less maturity a lot of the time. But some people are special and learn how to be mature and handle responsibility at a very young age. Also as Ptolemy said sometimes the applicant might need to post in the thread, whether it be to respond to a staff member's request, or maybe they forgot something in the application.

6. TheVenomWithin

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I don't think you're understanding me. I know it was wrong to post there, it wasn't that I'm annoyed that my post was deleted, i'm moreso annoyed that it isn't so obvious to the new user to refrain from posting in applications. If you want an 11 year old as staff so be it, not my community.

7. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    You ever meet an admin who goes by Chillstep?

8. TheVenomWithin

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Afraid I don't because i'm banned from your servers, and always have been.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    You might catch him in the mumble.

10. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    He's a retired admin, and he's 12/13, but Chillstep is probably one of the most responsible admins I have ever seen.

11. TheVenomWithin

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    This thread really isn't about that, I'm just looking for this to be implemented into the rules or w.e. I'm sure there are mature staff at that young of an age, but there are many more that aren't, no offense to him or anything.

12. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    Point understood

13. Cobalt

Cobalt Face-Meltingly Active

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    As said by others, just read the code of conduct, basically the rules for the application forum. Come on Venom, read more carefully. You've always seemed to skip things like that :p

14. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    The problem is that the majority of people don't click on the staff applications as they think that it will bring up a form for them to fill out. Not a list of information about applying along with the rules for that section. So they won't know about the CoC due to this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    Perhaps make it more clear then? If that seems to be the case, why not edit the subforum title and make it more understandable. Maybe like "Application Code of Conduct," or "Regulations and Rules on Applying." Just a suggestion

16. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    or just stick
    into the post on the rules of harpoon gaming. That way everything is in one place.

17. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    That's a guccerino idearino, but do the new people actually look at the forum rules? In the past, most staff apps I've seen were mostly new users to the forums. I wouldn't see much forum regulars apply. Maybe a redirect screen for everytime a new user comes into the website? I don't how you guys could make that possible, if you ask me to create a website with it's own domain, I'll probably end up destroying your computer.

18. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    I would think they'd be able to pin the post about the rules to every single category instead of just in announcements at least you could in MyBB. Considering Xenforo costs like $250 for a license while MyBB is free, I would assume it should be capable of that.

Also if you've noticed that while you're not signed in a box at the top tells you about the cookie policy & about the unusual trade server. Maybe another tab could be added stating that you should read the rules.

19. Lecatzz

Lecatzz Laundry Lecatzz
    Donator

Ratings:
    +376 / 27
    I'm never signed out, so I don't really remember what it looks like when you go to the website signed out

20. Lord Ptolemy

Lord Ptolemy Epic Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 23
    Open up a incognito tab (ctrl + shift + n) if you're using Chrome
    Open up a private browsing tab (ctrl + shift + n) (I think?) if you're using firefox
    If you use anything else (especially IE) then I frown upon thee.

Then copy and paste this into the address box: https://forum.harpoongaming.com
    You'll see what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice