Looking at GPU's

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cobalt, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt Face-Meltingly Active

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    Looking as possible GPU's for a new computer. Going to use it for HPC applications, as well as the occasional game. Hoping to build something extremely powerful, for a "relatively" inexpensive price. Relatively being around 4k.
    Opinions on a GTX Titan X or GTX Titan Z? Or too much overkill?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Microline

Microline Your Regular Skype Technician

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    GTX Titan is basically not a great card. GTX 980 works better. I saw videos of the comparisons, and basically one has a better name the other I guess. Also if you want a card that is budget wise. Look up the GTX 750 Ti which can run 4k resolution. It also plays Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4, and many other games on the highest settings. If you are an AMD fan search up the 270x/280x/290x

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    What's wrong with the Titan? I'm working selections based on a total build budget of 4k around.

4. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The Titan series is more of a gimmick to games, and a waste of money. Both the Titan z/x have 12 gigs of vram, which no normal game will EVER take up. The Titans are meant for 3d rendering and other computer programs that eat up performance and ram. It would be better in a performance-to-cost ratio to buy 2-3 gtx 980s and put them in sli. However remember that scaling with more gpus does not always result in better performance for games that dont properly support it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    I'm planning to use it for HPC applications as well, so I can spare the performance. For gaming though, would using just the single card be overkill, for say, Team Fortress 2?

6. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes. You are literally throwing 1-3k down the drain. Its also a directly bad thing to have too much performance in a game. You would get so many fps in tf2 that your screen would be lagging, stuttering, and tearing; as most screens have a 60hz refresh rate (the times per second a screen changes its image, so think of it like monitor fps). Even im getting this problem with my gtx 970. And 60hz is simply just to slow to display 100+ frames without making the game unplayable to the point where you have to deliberately throttle your gpu. So yes, a titan is overkill. As for your hpc programs, please describe what kind of "computing" you are planing to do for a "Avid TF2 gamer, aspiring admin and moderator, wannabe trader" like yourself?

7. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
  8. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
  9. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    Doesn't seem like it, in a configuration with the titan, I'm being sure to obtain a screen with high refresh rates

10. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Your still getting a terrible deal, but hey, why do you thing people buy 32 and 64 gig ram kits? They never use that much, and its a total waste. Yet people still buy it.

11. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7
    If I had 64, I'd use close to that much.

12. Maddog1929

Maddog1929 Mildly Active

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    How much do you have now

13. Cobalt

Ratings:
    +52 / 7

• About Harpoon

Harpoon Gaming is a gaming community, with servers in Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and more. We were founded on the idea that no matter who you are, you have a home here. Too often we see communities rife with bullies and trolls, and Harpoon was created because we think we can do better than that.
  • Like us on Facebook

• Donate to Harpoon!

Donator is 1 key per month and 16 keys for lifetime. You will have donator access on all of our servers. If you wish to donate to Harpoon Gaming, contact a Full Admin or above. To learn more, head over to the donator page.

Donate to us!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice